Thursday, October 05, 2006
Happy Mid-Autumn Festival
It's so different to celebrate a Chinese Holiday in Hong Kong!
In school I learn about Lanterns (Deng Lung) and Moon Cake... which I never would in NY.
Mommy even had a celebration at work - a feast and early release from work.
She would never have that in the US. There's even the frozen skin (bing pei) moon cake... that she's never seen before too. Hong Kong is crazy for moon cake.
At the store, we were looking for birthday invitations for my upcoming party... then I found this inflatable character hanging from a plastic microphone. I was dragging it around... Mommy had no idea what it was. Then it was time to leave the store and time for "I WANT THIS," in my newly discovered whiny tone. When Mommy realizes it's supposed to be a Deng Lung, she approves to have it since it is a cultural toy. Plus sadly, she's never seen one of these in her life either.
I pick a train instead of the character (since we didn't even know who it was.)
I'm so happy - when we bring it home, we turn on the light from the microphone and I'm so giddy.
So many new things to experience with this festival!
In school I learn about Lanterns (Deng Lung) and Moon Cake... which I never would in NY.
Mommy even had a celebration at work - a feast and early release from work.
She would never have that in the US. There's even the frozen skin (bing pei) moon cake... that she's never seen before too. Hong Kong is crazy for moon cake.
At the store, we were looking for birthday invitations for my upcoming party... then I found this inflatable character hanging from a plastic microphone. I was dragging it around... Mommy had no idea what it was. Then it was time to leave the store and time for "I WANT THIS," in my newly discovered whiny tone. When Mommy realizes it's supposed to be a Deng Lung, she approves to have it since it is a cultural toy. Plus sadly, she's never seen one of these in her life either.
I pick a train instead of the character (since we didn't even know who it was.)
I'm so happy - when we bring it home, we turn on the light from the microphone and I'm so giddy.
So many new things to experience with this festival!
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]